September Sports Announcements
There is a way for EVERY child to play…
SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE IN EACH SPORT
Please contact: Community Action Center of Northfield, 507-664-3550
We encourage you to check each association’s website for the most current information.
Note: Each organization’s title in red font links to their website.
The Northfield chapter of the Minnesota Youth Ski League teaches cross country skiing skills for ages 4-12 in a fun, non-competitive setting on Sunday afternoons in January and February. This statewide volunteer-run program is the same one that taught Jessie Diggins to ski! Sessions are held in the Carleton Arboretum. The program has grown rapidly and spots fill up fast, so look to www.mysl.org to sign up in early October. Limited youth-sized rental equipment is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Parents willing to volunteer as coaches or assistants get priority in registering their children.
Email email@example.com if you have questions or would like a reminder when registration opens.
The Northfield Area Family YMCA has programs for youth of all ages; from swimming lessons to group fitness and personal training, there is something for everyone! Youth memberships are a great way to keep kids active in a safe place.
For youth 16+, the YMCA is a fantastic place to work! Find applications at the YMCA or on our website.
2022-23 BOYS BASKETBALL REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN! Check out the Registration Page for complete details on the Travel and In-House Programs.
Registration for BOTH programs will close on Oct. 1. Help us spread the word to family, friends and teammates to sign up today!
FREE K-3 CLINIC
Where: Greenvale Park Elementary
When: Sept. 17, 24 and Oct. 1 (K/1: 8:45-9:45 a.m., 2/3: 9:50-10:50 a.m.)
- Flag Football: Grades 2-5, Monday & Thursday evenings, Sept. 12-Oct. 10, $55, Sechler Park
- Swim Lessons: Ages 6+, Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Sept. 19-28, various evening times, $49, Northfield Middle School Pool
- Mini Raider Football Practice: Grades 1-2, Saturdays, Sept. 10, 24 & Oct. 8, 9-10 a.m., $30, Memorial Field
- Track & Field Sampler: Grades K-5, Saturday mornings, Sept. 17-Oct. 8, $35, Northfield Middle School Track
- Tennis: Grades K-8, Saturday mornings, Sept. 17-Oct. 8, $35, Northfield Middle School Tennis Courts
- YEL Junior Soccer: Grades K-3, Thursdays, Sept. 22-Nov. 3, 5-6 p.m., $75, Bridgewater Elementary
- Street Hockey: Grades 1-5, Friday, Sept. 23-Nov. 4, 5-6 p.m., Northfield Community Education Center
- Horseback Riding: Ages 8+, Wednesdays, Sept. 14-Oct. 19, 4-5 p.m., $162, Winterhaven Stables
- Taekwondo: Ages 8+, Tuesdays & Thursdays, Sept. 13-Oct. 25, 6:15-7 p.m., $75, Spring Creek Elementary Cafeteria
- Teen Gumdo: Ages 12+, Tuesdays & Thursdays, Sept. 13-Oct. 25, 7:45-8:45 p.m., $86, Spring Creek Elementary Cafeteria
- Youth Gumdo: Ages 7-12, Tuesdays, Sept. 13-Oct. 18, 6:15-7 p.m., $75, High School Auxiliary Gym
- Karate: Ages 8+, Mondays 7-8:15 p.m., Wednesdays 6:45-8 p.m., Saturdays 9-11 a.m., $89, various district locations
Registration for Traveling and In-House is now open. Find more information and register on our website.
Traveling is open to girls in grades 4-7 who are affiliated with the Northfield School District, and In-House is for grades K-3.
Our traveling season begins around Oct. 24 and goes through the end of February. We offer practice twice a week and up to 10 weekend tournaments (mostly 1-day).
In-House goes through the end of October to mid-December for grades K-2. Third graders can extend their season and play in a couple tournaments into January.
Basketball is a fun way to make friends, gain skills, and beat the winter cold!
The Northfield Hockey Association offers in-house and traveling competitive teams for boys and girls ages 4-15. The season runs from October through February. Several new skater programs are offered, including a beginner Hockey Skating and Skills class, offered in collaboration with Northfield Skating School, and Try Hockey for Free, offered annually on a Saturday in November.
The In-House Program, for boys and girls ages 4-8, is designed to help skaters learn the basics of hockey through recreational team play. No experience is necessary.
Traveling Competitive Teams offer a more advanced level of play. Players will further develop their skating skills and will also work on stick handling, positioning, and game strategy. Older beginners are welcome to start at this level, but starting hockey in conjunction with the NSS Hockey Skating and Skills class is strongly recommended for older beginners.
Northfield Hockey Sign Ups are HERE! Welcome to the 2022-23 NHA hockey season!
- Registration will be open until Sept. 18 for all players wishing to play on traveling teams at Squirts/U10, Peewees/U12, and Bantams/U15.
- Registration will remain open for Mites/Sr. Mites throughout the season, but those needing rental equipment must register by Sept. 30.
* We will NOT offer on-site registration this year. Everyone must register through the website. Visit registration page here.
For more information, please visit our NHA website at: www.northfieldhockey.net. We have made important changes, so be sure to check out the website! If you have any questions regarding this season or registration, please contact us.
The Northfield Hockey Association provides a positive, competitive learning environment for all players, and teaches the virtues of athletics, such as hard work, discipline, teamwork and fun. New players at all ages are encouraged. Thank you, and let’s make it a great season!
Northfield Hockey Association
PO Box 111, Northfield, MN
Register until Sept. 22 for fall skating classes starting Oct 2. Classes are available on Sundays for beginners, advanced athletes, adults and more — everyone ages 4 and up. Browse class information in the Community Education brochure or visit our Facebook page for our fall flyer and more details. Community-based and nationally-recognized, Northfield Skating School builds skills and confidence for skating and for life in a positive environment with certified, professional instructors. Many classes do fill up, so register for your spot today!
Beginner tennis lessons will be offered this fall! Lessons will be Saturday mornings from Sept. 17 through Oct. 8 for kids in grades K-8. Sign up through Northfield Community Services!
Northfield Volleyball’s winter season preparations are underway! We’ll post registration details, tryout dates, and other updates to our website, northfieldvolleyball.com.
Register for the FREE K-5 wrestling clinic. Practices will be held Oct. 24, 26, 31 and Nov. 2 from 3:20 p.m.-4:45 p.m. at Bridgewater, Greenvale and Spring Creek Elementary gyms.
Learn the basics of wrestling during practices, and use the new skills in a competition against the other Northfield elementary schools in an all-city tournament. The all-city tournament will be held Nov. 3 at 6:30 p.m. at the Northfield High School gym.
The regular youth wrestling season will begin Nov. 10. Register at www.northfieldwrestling.sportngin.com